Singapore’s Ethnic Enclave
This colourful Singapore neighbourhood boasts an interesting history going back to the early 1800s. Similar to Australia’s founding as a British penal colony, Little India was founded as a colony for prisoners of the British Raj. It grew into an Indian enclave that today is home to restaurants, shops and art galleries steeped in Indian Tamil culture. Visitors discover wonderful treasures from gorgeous textiles to jewellery. Some of the most popular vegetarian restaurants are in Little India. During Deepavali, the Festival of Lights, Little India truly shines with colour, light and music that is simply magical.
Varies by business, but you can expect to find everything from bargains to lavish items for sale.
Varies by business, but many are open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mustafa Centre is open 24/7.
- Deepavali Festival of Lights
- Navarathiri Festival
- Pongal (Harvest) Celebrations
- Indian New Year Celebration
- Theemithi (Fire Walking Festival)
- Singapore Food Festival
- Shopping for Indian goods
- Indian restaurants
- Explore Little India Heritage Trail
- Cultural festivals
- Hindu temples
- Parrot fortune tellers
- Henna tattoo (mehendi) by professional artists
- Mustafa centre (Open 24/7)
- Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple
- Tekka Centre / Market
- Mustafa Centre
- Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple
- Abdul Gafoor Mosque
- Sakya Muni Buddha Gaya Temple (Temple of 1,000 Lights)
What are some interesting things to purchase here?
Find unique gifts - or something for yourself - at Little India Singapore. Like any good bazaar, you can find colourful textiles, unique jewellery and one-of-a-kind handicrafts. There are purveyors of ayurvedic healthcare products.
What unique Singaporean dish is available at Little India?
A special Singaporean dish is Fish Head Curry, which can be found on the menus of many restaurants in Little India. Another culinary delight to savour is Roti Prata, a mouth-watering grilled pancake, similar to Indian Prata but with a special twist the Singaporean way. Combine it with any amount of spices or fillings, from meat, cheese or eggs to bananas and chocolate.
Your Lodging Of Choice
Distance from attraction: 3.7 km / 2.3 miles
Specials: Specials & Packages
Why Stay at Ramada by Wyndham Singapore at Zhongshan Park?
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Adjacent to Zhongshan Mall
- Complimentary Shuttle Service to Novena MRT Station
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access and Local calls